Monday, January 28, 2008

Relaxing Weekend in Cork

Hi ya-
So with our big adventure in Killarney last weekend and our big Dublin trip next weekend, we decided to stay at home in Cork this weekend and see a few of the historic sights right in town. Saturday I woke up and went for a long run which was wonderful. I'm loving exploring the city by running because I find so many roads that connect and the scenary is beautiful so it makes the run that much more enjoyable. Maggie and I are hoping to do a run while we are over here and were hoping to do a 1/2 marathon in Paris but it's all full :( so we're looking into runs in other places. After showering, we took off to find St. Fin Barre's Cathedral. We knew it was close because we see it in the distance on our way to school everyday. It was a lot closer than we thought. It was gorgeous! I have pictures up on Shutterfly but I'm still trying to work out the kinks on that so I'll give out the link once it's up and running. Afterwards, we walked around town a little bit because it was a beautiful day. We found the city library and got a card so we can check out books there too which I'm excited about.

Sunday we slept in a bit and then decided to walk in hopes of finding the Cork City Gaol (jail). We found some beautiful views and churches along the way and also a few pubs that show soccer games so we're going to have to go check those out. We found the old jail and took some pictures, it was all so old and rustic looking. We thought about taking the 6 euro tour but figured it would be something to do with our families so we chose to just check out the outside of the building. Sunday night we relaxed and got ready for the week ahead. Not too much going on this week as we prepare for our big trip to Dublin which is Friday-Monday. I found this pass online thats 49 euro and it's an all inclusive pass so you don't pay for any of the tours because they are included in this pass. We plan to do the Guiness and Jamison Tours and also maybe the zoo which are all included. It also provides transportaion from the airport to the city, seemed like a great deal so we all got one. Tonight we're going out to listen to some live Irish Music at one of the local pubs, should be fun.

Well I will post the shutterfly link once it's up and running with pictures of both the cathedral and the jail. Hope everyone is doing well and staying warm for the most part. Miss you all!
Keep sending me emails of what you're up to, I love hearing everyone's updates.
Love,
Marissa

No comments: